Wednesday, May 25, 2011

CALL ME

Saturday Morning

Surprisingly no hangover from the ‘early night’ out with the colleagues.
My phone beeps… it’s a text message. I’m lethargic to open it.

Hey, how you doin? I’m back! Just landed


It was Andrew. This was the first of any contact he had made with me since he told me he was in Las Vegas two weeks prior. I ask him how the trip was. He’s response is brief and direct to the point. He uses a full stop every few words and I get the sense that he may not be interested in talking to me, yet he’s the one who made contact… so I go ahead and bloody say what I want to say,

That was a long trip. I shuda told you to get me an I-heart-NY t-shirt n jersey… It’s nice to hear from you again. So, you have my number handsome; ul let me know if you’re interested in seeing me again. Welcome back! Xoxo

Saturday night

I stayed home. By probably 11pm I was willingly deep in party free slumber… At 2.30am I woke up to go for a pee. I peed. And then I went to bed. Before allowing sleep to take over me, I checked my phone out of habit, in my one eye open routine so that sleep doesn’t escape my eyes and I saw ‘1 new message’. I opened it and found a text message from *Andrew;

Where are you?

The message had come in just 15 minutes before I woke up to use the bathroom.
And I respond…

Stayed in tonight. I’m in bed... I assumed he was at the rave and wanted to see

For a moment I was repulsed by his eagerness to get back to the Nairobi party scene not even 24 hours after his arrival. Plus I was still displeased by the fact that in the two weeks he was in the US, he hadn’t called me. By this time I had already crossed him from my list…you know, stopped seeing him as a potential boyfriend. The next day when I woke up fresh and early, happy to receive the Sunday morning in my cozy duvet, I check my phone to see a text from Andrew…

“So did I, how did you sleep?.” probably the first comma I’ve seen in his messages to me.

I must say I was a little surprised that he was bothered with me. So I told him I slept well and then I asked him what he was doing up at 2 in the morning texting me. He responded by saying in one short sentence-“couldn’t sleep” full stop. And I write
Oh yeah, you’re still on New York time. Oh well the world was ending yesterday so at least you would have been awake to see the second coming.
And then he responds

Ha ha ha! That’s right!

So I get the sense, once again, that he is done with the conversation and I don’t send ANOTHER text. Got up, made breakfast and in the afternoon met up with my girls at the Village Market, did a nice afternoon lunch, met a guy I was totally crushing on and then I got home and went to bed ready for another dragging week at the office.

Monday morning; 6.45am

I am downstairs having breakfast when I hear my cell ring from my bedroom where I had left it charging. I run upstairs sure that it’s my neighbor Caitlyn, calling to tell me that she will come get me for work at such and such a time. Surprise, surprise as I see Andrew’s caller ID.

Really; surprise, surprise.

He sounded like he had just gotten up and was still in bed. He said, “I have been holding my breath hoping that you would call me.”

I was thrown off track. What the hell is this guy talking about? He’s the one who texts me like he doesn’t want to really talk to me. And I never initiate conversations with guys who are still on the ‘hitting on me’ stage… I tell him I thought he was done talking to me. He has no idea what I’m talking about. He asks “what were you up to yesterday. I would have liked to meet you” and I tell him about the plan for Village Market. And he says “I woulda come if you told me”

"I cant call you Andrew” I laugh
“why not?” he asks
“because that’s not how it goes. You call me.” I explain
“okay… can I see you today? After work maybe?” he asks
“Yeah…” I respond happy as a fukn fat kid with candy
“what time?” he asks
“Well I’m going to the gym so…”
“okay, call me in the evening and we can plan it”
And I laugh…
“Or I should call you?” he asks and I can feel his smile in his voice
“Yes…”
“Okay…I will.”


He picks me up ten minutes earlier than we had planned. I like people who keep time. His car is Sexy as hell. He asks “dinner or drinks?” and I’m reminded of the buffet park date (gag) (refer to former blogs) and I say… “Maybe we have dinner while having a drink”. I wanted to sound diplomatic and mature and up to his level of intelligence. You see Andrew is over thirty. I am twenty three. He’s is a big man both physically and in the corporate world who has pretty much made it … and works out by boxing in his home gym. Hence the Mohammed Ali signed boxing gloves he mentioned over dinner. I have never dated a ‘rich’ guy, much less an older man so I was very much in unfamiliar territory. He had all the control.

At dinner as we were looking at the menus, he glanced at me indecisively and asked me what I was going to have. I said “chicken lemon w/salad?’ He looked down at the menu and mumbled under his breath that he too wanted something light but he really like the French fries the restaurant served. When the waiter came, notebook firmly in hand, I was getting ready to give him my order when Andrew beat me to it and said “She’ll have a chicken lemon with salad and red wine, sweet yes? And I will have the same but with French fries (then he looked at me and smiled) with a double gin and tonic please…” I was all over sudden fascinated by him. I had wanted a man who took the reins. A man who was confident and comfortable in his skin, a man who looked at me with interest as I spoke and yet spoke himself spoke of greater things. A man who was not afraid to put his arm around my waist and pull me closer to him and talk to me inches from my face…

The date went great. We laughed so much at the stories we shared that I soon forgot my nerves. Andrew kissed me many times that night. He had moved from his side of the table to mine to be close to me and he liked it when I let my hand wander over his back and neck. He said I was ‘smooth’ and would get a lot a** if I was a guy. I shrugged conceited, and he laughed. Outside my house he opened for me the door and kissed me. He said he would see me again, soon.

As I went to bed that night, the memory of Garry came to me. In comparison, honestly, Garry was not so mighty anymore. Andrew was bigger than him, smarter than him, more attentive and funnier. All over sudden I felt on top of the world and said a little prayer that he may fall in love with me.
The next day, I sent him a text to respond to one he had sent to me after the date but was already asleep by the time it came. He didn’t reply. At around close to lunch time, I sent a message saying,

“Now it’s me you have holding my breath for a text/call etc…”

Less than a minute passed and he called. He had been really busy and thought he had already texted me. He said he was sorry. I was extremely calm and secure and told him it was not a problem. He asked me what my day would be like and I gave him my schedule. Then he made laugh a little and said “okay have a nice day”. The rest of the day, there was no communication from him. I wondered if I was being needy. I went to the gym and eased off my stress. Back from the gym at 8pm, there was still no word from him. At 10.30pm, I was on the edge. I hated it when I needed someone. I knew all the rules of not contacting a guy if he doesn’t contact you esp at the beginning of a relationship. I couldn’t help it. I really couldn’t and so I texted him…


‘Hey Andrew. How was your day. I’m about to turn in…”

He responded immediately…

“Day good. Me too. Very tired.”

I read the text again. And again. Was he being rude or was he being his usual non-descriptive self. I couldn’t tell. I felt like a stupid girl having texted him.
This was all yesterday. Today I have not contacted him and neither has he contacted me. Its 2.57pm. Surely even at his lunch break he wouldn’t have halad…no? I don’t get it sometimes. Men are so oblivious. Then again I’m probably not on his mind now that he is not calling me at 6.45 in the a.m or texting me at 2 am at night.

Ef this.



Peace & Love
Purple

Ps: David sorta stood me up twice last weekend due to the nature of his extremely busy job and due to his ‘delay’ I went on the date with Andrew. David wont stop apologizing and asking for a date this weekend. I don’t know what to do…


3 comments:

  1. Andrew sounds like trouble. I dont think he is looking for anything serious coz he would have replied. Texting isnt that hard and if thats how he replies texts anyway then it will forever bug u..

    David.. Just go on another date but only coz he is so sorry. It wouldnt hurt anyway, if anything ur learning more about dudes :P Plus he sounds sweet.. :)
    Question: Is david ur kind of guy? Physique and all..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew
    aint that into u gal..he just playing the ultimate players card,one step forward,two steps back

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi... A for yes David is physically my type in terms of his tone amd muscles but i am not into light skinned preety boys...i dunno i like the rough looking ones. hes outta the picture tho. there is just no chemistry.

    Njagala and Shelikes...
    I hear you... LOUD and CLEAR. been a couple of weeks, and i really this andrew. lets just see.

    ReplyDelete